Follow by Email

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Since we missed Half Moon Cay

Yesterday our cruise ship would have been docked in Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.  Since we were still in mass transportation hell, we couldn’t make that stop.  So, to make up for the island we missed, we added another island to our itinerary….St. John, one of St. Thomas’ neighbors here in the U.S. Virgin Islands.  We didn’t want to go exploring St. Thomas because we figured it might be nice to save that for when we finally meet up with Kendra. 

So, after breakfast this morning, we took a ferry to St. John…..ok, so it wasn’t a cruise ship, but we were finally on a boat.  St. John is smaller than St. Thomas, and unless you’re big into water sports, you won’t find much to do besides shopping.  There are a lot of shops that we spent a few hours going in and out of.  We were experiencing typical island weather….warm, muggy, with a change of rain showers.  So, as we were walking around we decided we were done shopping, and since we were about to melt, we figured it would be nice to go lay out by the pool back at the hotel. 

So, back to the ferry it was (wow, on a boat twice in one day).  Angie and I changed clothes and headed down to the pool.  We might not be able to lay out on the Lido deck to get a tan, but we were still going to enjoy the sunshine.  The deck chairs were all cushioned (how fancy), so we picked a couple right near the pool and got comfortable……right as the clouds blocked all the sunlight.  The day had been alternating between clouds and sun, so we decided to stay put, and wait for the sun to come back.  Once that decision was made, it didn’t take any time at all for me to fall asleep….those deck chairs were pretty darn comfortable.  Then, it rained.  Not hard, just a little shower, but Angie and I decided that since we were in our bathing suits already, we’d wait it out….and as soon as it started, it stopped.  Good thing we decided to stay put because I got another good hour of napping in.

We took a walk around the resort after dinner because there are iguanas around, and there were some in the group who wanted a picture.  I was not one of them.  In fact, I told them that if an iguana came out while we were walking, I’d be gone so fast they’d have to come looking for me later.  The walk got even better when we saw the sign that pointed us to where the land crabs liked to hang out.  Oh yeah, we were on a real safari.  Lucky for me, no critters appeared…..except the cats. There are nine or ten stray cats who decided to make this resort home.  They have feeding stations set up to feed the cats so they don’t go bothering the guests….and they’re really sweet cats….those kinds of critters I can handle.

We have made contact with Kendra today.  She was enjoying a “fun day at sea”.  They’re on their way here to St. Thomas, and they had no island stops today.  She seems to be enjoying herself, which is good.  She’s not going to know what to do when the rest of us rowdy people show up. 

I say “rowdy” because we have completely snapped this evening.  We got back to the room after 7 because it gets real dark real fast here, and everything closes down at night when the cruise ships leave port. So, television it was.  It’s too early to go to bed, so naturally we should start hitting each other with pillows.  Well, Angie and Cal were having a pillow fight.  I’ve been typing this blog minding my own business.  That is until, they turned on me.  I defended myself as best as I could, but once Angie pinned my feet down, I was helpless.  However, Angie ended up with me sitting on top of her when she managed to pull me off the bed.  I’ll bet that wasn’t pleasant for her, but hey, she let go of my feet. 

While we were dissolving into the silliness of a pillow fight, we heard a knock at our door.  Since we had already spoken to the other stranded cruisers about our plans for the morning we figured it wasn’t them.  We were right, it was some man claiming to be maintenance telling us to push the menu button on our remote control.  Thoughts of being the next leading story on 48 Hours Mystery were flashing through my head, so I was really glad Cal never opened the door for this guy.  Instead, we called the front desk to check if they had sent anyone up.  We got a call a few minutes later from the very man who had been at our door.  Yep, he’s a legitimate maintenance dude, who honestly was checking to make sure the On Demand feature was working on all the televisions.  He was probably offended that we didn’t open the door to see his nifty little “official ID”, but I’d rather offend Mr.. Maintenance Man than open the door to the St. Thomas Boogeyman.  This vacation has been rough enough so far, I don’t need any extra drama.

So, that’s where we stand right now.  It’s bedtime, we have to get up and make our way to the ship tomorrow.  I’d say it’s all downhill from here, but I’m not on that ship yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment