Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Piles of Pennies

In my quest to be able to go see (and meet) Donny and Marie in Las Vegas by next spring, I’m putting away every little bit of money I can.  So far, every bit I’ve been able to has been in the form of change……actually, mostly pennies.
I came home from work today and said to myself, “self, where might you find a bit of spare change to put in your tin?”  Well, I was standing in my living room, and the answer was staring me in the face.  I took all the cushions off the couch, and found NOTHING!!!  I think my couch is the only couch in America with no change in the cushions.  I mean, isn’t there some law of nature that says change should be in the couch cushions?  Instead of being discouraged, I moved to the chair near the door.  I mean, people come in the door, they sit in the chair, maybe their pockets spilled.  Nope, our guests apparently have very good pockets.  So, I checked the chair I always sit in, and there was, drum roll please……A QUARTER!!!!  It probably came out of my pocket, but who’s counting.
Oh, that’s right, I’m counting.  I didn’t stop there folks, I checked my coat pockets.  It’s getting into the spring season, so I figured I’d probably stuck change in my pockets through the winter season.  Well, I managed $.26.  When I went upstairs to put it all in my tin, I found that there was a wallet that I wasn’t using anymore that had a pocket full of change.  So, my grand total for today was $.94. 
Then, I hit the jackpot.  My dad donated to my cause and gave me a jar full of pennies (and screws, hooks, and gum wrappers).  It was a heavy jar which made me yell, “yeah, baby, Vegas here I come!”  So, that jar had $14.75 in it.  I’m doing incredibly well in my quest.  At the end of day two of collecting, I’ve got over $20…..barely.  I know, I know, I’m still a long way away from having enough for my trip.  It’s a good thing I’m stubborn. 
Who knows what windfalls tomorrow may bring.  Maybe I’ll hit the lottery…..er, then again, probably not since I didn’t buy a ticket.  I don’t have any rich relatives that have set up trust funds that I’ll have access to on March 17, 2010 (at least I’m nearly 100% certain I don’t).  However, tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day.  Isn’t that supposed to be a lucky day? 
Well, I know I’m a long way from being able to take my trip, but maybe you are headed to Vegas soon.  May I suggest going to the Flamingo hotel and taking in Donny and Marie's show.  It’s fantastic……so what if I haven’t seen it yet……trust my instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment