Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Singles Awareness Day

Well, it's February 14, 2011.  Valentine's Day.....or as I saw on my cousin's Facebook status, "Singles Awareness Day".  Here I sit at a romantic dinner for two with dim lighting, soft music, candles, and flowers, staring into the eyes of.....whoa, wait, that was on tv.  I'm sitting in a hotel room in our lovely state capital.  I spent the evening with, yes, my boss.  So, yeah, no big Valentine's Day romance for me.

As thick as I am laying on this sarcasm, I don't really have anything against Valentine's Day.  It's just one of those days during the year where I tend to be very aware that I am indeed still single.  This year though, is the first in a while where I am not sitting here wishing I were in a relationship.  I am ok with my single status.  That's not to say I'm not ready for a relationship, I just don't feel depressed not to be in one.  Maybe it's the medication. 

What is depressing is seeing what's on the tv in front of me right now.  I'm waiting for Castle to come on as I do each week, and as I do each week I am catching the tail end of The Bachelor. While I admit that I used to watch the show in its first seasons, as I got older, I realized I don't understand it.  There are a handful of women, all relatively attractive I suppose, who are throwing themselves at this pretty boy bachelor.  They are begging (mostly figuratively, but sometimes literally) to be given a rose.  The beautiful rose, a symbol of a bachelorette's worth to this particular bachelor.  I get that it's all entertainment.  I am taking this way too seriously, but um, ladies, if I'm not mistaken, this is the same bachelor who couldn't manage to make a choice the first time he tried this.  It's no better when the show is The Bachelorette.  Men don't need to be throwing themselves at the feet of one woman just for a chance to find their "true love" on tv, and then boo-hooing in the limo when they're sent packing by someone they've only known for a few weeks.

Granted, I don't know how many of these people participate in these shows for the slight chance that they'll find their soul mate and how many are in it for the time they'll spend on camera.  I'd respect them more if they just admitted that they want to take the quick way to being famous so they've hopped on the reality tv train.  Maybe they sould give Survivor or the Amazing Race a try....at least you get a cash prize at the end of those shows.....so, even if your plans to make it big via reality tv don't pan out, you've still got a chunk of change in your pocket.  At the end of The Bachelor/Bachelorette, you may get a relationship that ends in happily ever after, but based on the track record so far, all you're going to get is your fifteen minutes of fame followed by a nasty breakup in the tabloids.  Oh well, at least it's not 'Jersey Shore"

Hope all of you out there in Blog Land had a wonderful Valentine's Day.  As for me, I'm lucky that I have a fabulous family and an awesome group of friends that I can call my valentines this year....and I di have a pretty good Valentine's Day even if there wasn't anything sugary sweet about it.  Sleep well all you hopeless romantics.  Until next time my dears....goodnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment